Back to main blog page

Getting a visa to live in Portugal

There are many types of visa which you can use to move to and live in Portugal – some of the lesser known types of visa for Portugal are the Start-up Visa, Study Visa, Employment Visa and the Family Reunification Visa to name a few, but here below we have shared information on the more commonly used visas to consider for anyone wanting to move to Portugal from outside the EU.

Visa-Free Stay:

  • Eligibility: Citizens from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and other select countries can stay in Portugal for 90 days out of every 180 days without a visa.
  • Note: Always verify if this policy remains unchanged, particularly in light of ongoing global developments.

Non-EU Citizens:

For extended stays or specific purposes like work or study, non-EU citizens must apply for the appropriate visa.

D7 Visa (Passive Income Visa):

Ideal for remote workers, retirees, or those with a regular investment income.

  • Income Requirements (2024 Update): The annual minimum income requirement might have been adjusted from the 2022 figure of €7,620 for the main applicant. It’s crucial to check the current requirement.
  • Application Process: The process typically takes around 60 days. Begin your application before leaving for Portugal. The visa is valid for one year, renewable every two years. Permanent residency is possible after five years.
  • Advantages: Continues to offer tax benefits under the Non-Habitual Resident program. Children born in Portugal to holders of a D7 visa for 12 months may qualify for Portuguese citizenship.

Golden Visa:

A popular choice for those investing in Portuguese property.

  • Investment Thresholds: The investment amounts and eligible areas for property investment are subject to change. Confirm current requirements, particularly with the 2022 restrictions in major cities and popular areas.
  • Application Requirements: These generally include obtaining a Portuguese tax number (NIF), opening a local bank account, and providing proof of investment.
  • Advantages: The benefits of EU residency, eligibility for a Portuguese passport, and Schengen Area travel likely remain in place.

Learn more about the latest Golden Visa updates here. 

D2 Visa (Entrepreneur Visa):

Suitable for non-EU citizens wanting to start a business in Portugal.

  • Business Requirements: A viable business plan and capital investment are essential. The specifics of support programs and investment amounts should be checked for 2024 updates.
  • Processing Time: Historically noted for long processing times. Verify if there have been any improvements or changes.
  • Advantages and Considerations: Likely similar to previous years, but updates on tax rates, government support, and market access are worth checking.

Digital Nomad Visa (D8) (New Developments):

As of 2022, this was a new addition. By 2024, it might be more established, with specific requirements and benefits.

Click here to see info on the Digital Nomad D8 visa

In summary we hope this overview of some of the more common visas helps get you started on your journey to living in Portugal and that you see it is not as scary or complex as it first sounds! If you have your own story about moving to Portugal using a visa and would like us to share it to help others please send us an email

3 thoughts on “Getting a visa to live in Portugal

  1. You say that it’s better to have €12,000 per year, is this for one person and why, my partner (not married) and I, both make the minimum amount plus a little more, why is this not considered enough sometimes.

  2. Can you tell me the situation if I am from the UK and my husband is Dutch (Euro passport). At the moment we are permanent residents in Mexico but wish to return back to Europe. Am I given honorary European citizenship due to being married or do I have to go through the whole visa situation?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.